Tuesday 27 February 2007

No first land for newbies in second life

I couldn't believe that the Lindens have stopped all First Land in second Life for us newbies. What are we supposed to do now for land.Is this just another way for theLindens to get money out of us. Each time I logged on to second life I searched for First Land what a disappointment. Have you seen the price of land we don't stand a chance of getting any. I even looked today for places to live and the rental is ridiculous. In my last post I said I was getting bored now I am getting angry. What do other newbies think. Post a comment let us know.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi, I'm in SL under the name whyroc Slade. I've been having fun with it but am also getting a little bored. In terms of the owning land thing, I too was dissapointed initially because I thought that owning and using the land was the main point of the game, maybe it was back when it all started. From what I gather land ownership means you just have to pay a huge monthly stipend to Linden labs, you may be glad you don't own land (at least no more than the 512m stipend free)

I have a unique skillset that I may try to flog in world and have been working on ways to establish myself. I have rented a decent place and begun to look around. In terms of what you can actually do in SL here's what I feel are the most entertaining aspects:

1.Dressing up your barbie...um avatar
2.Finding a few games here and there, poker or FPS
3.Build things, the 3d modelling is a little rudimentary and slow comapared to tools like Blender3d but is still fun.
4.Chat and meet people (although you have no idea who they really are)

SL probably started out as a cool niche for gamers and pseudo gamers looking to have more variety to thier experience, it's g etting clogged up in my opinion with corporate stuff and the other main scourges of the internet, ie. sex,gambling and advertising.

As a concept I still think is is rather cool and will develop. One resident I was speaking to said that the real commodity on SL was people, I found with maybe 20-30 k people logged in at any time it seems empty.

Get in touch with me if you want to link up.